Family-Friendly Meals Featuring Milk
06/15/2015 03:32AM ● Published by Family Features
Milk is not only a fridge staple; it’s an essential part of American lives. It’s so important that, according to a new consumer survey conducted by Wakefield Research, 82 percent of American parents say they would make a separate trip to the store if they ran out of milk — and for good reason.
“Milk has long been associated with good health and plays an important role in achieving a balanced diet,” said Dana White, M.S., R.D. and A.T.C. of Dana White Nutrition, Inc. After all, milk is packed with essential nutrients like calcium, protein, vitamins A, D and B12, riboflavin, phosphorus and potassium.
Milk is also a versatile kitchen ingredient that has many uses beyond the cereal bowl. So when you’re looking to whip up recipes like Banana Walnut Oatmeal and Mac & Cheese with Cauliflower, make sure to reach for fresh, quality DairyPure milk. The only farm-to-fridge milk backed by an exclusive Five-Point Purity Promise, DairyPure milk contains no artificial growth hormones, is tested for antibiotics, is continually quality tested to ensure purity, only comes from cows fed a healthy diet and is cold shipped fresh from your local dairy. So you know that it starts pure and stays pure.
Macaroni & Cheese with Cauliflower
- 2 cups small shell-shaped pasta
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets, about 6 cups
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups DairyPure Whole milk or DairyPure 2% Reduced Fat milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In large saucepot, heat 10 cups salted water to boiling. Add shell pasta and cauliflower. Heat to boiling; simmer uncovered, 6 minutes. Drain immediately.
- Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, melt butter; add onion. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended; cook 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk and mustard; cook until mixture thickens and is smooth, stirring constantly. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in cheese until melted and smooth.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Toss breadcrumbs with olive oil. Grease 2-quart baking dish or casserole. In large bowl, toss pasta and cauliflower mixture with cheese sauce to mix well. Sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture. Bake 20 minutes or until mixture is hot and bubbly.
Cookies & Cream Smoothie
- 2 cups DairyPure 1% Low Fat milk
- 1 cup ice
- 4 chocolate sandwich cookies
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- In blender, combine milk, ice, chocolate sandwich cookies and cocoa until blended.
Banana Walnut Oatmeal
- 1 cup DairyPure 1% Low Fat milk or DairyPure Fat Free Skim milk
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 very ripe banana, mashed
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup (plus more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- Blueberries, for garnish
- Sliced bananas, for garnish
Raspberry Milk Pops
- 1 1/2 cups DairyPure Whole milk or DairyPure 2% Reduced Fat milk
- 1 (12-ounce) package frozen raspberries
- 1/4 cup honey
- In blender or food processor, combine milk, frozen raspberries and honey; blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into eight 4-ounce ice pop molds or plastic drinking cups. Add ice pop sticks. Freeze at least 4 hours or overnight.
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Flour for breading
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
For the Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon shallots, finely diced
- 1/2 cup white wine (not cooking wine)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup DairyPure Heavy Cream
- Heat oven to 350°F. Combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Dredge chicken breasts in flour; dip in egg, then in breadcrumb/cheese mixture.
- Heat oil in large saute pan; add chicken breasts and cook until golden on both sides. Remove from pan and place in 350°F oven to cook through. Drain most of the oil from the saute pan; add shallots and cook for 1 minute. Add white wine and lemon juice and cook for 3 minutes to reduce. Add Dijon mustard and whip in with a whisk. Add heavy cream and reduce until creamy. Pour over chicken.